vs Ballymena

October 31, 2015
Score: 26 - 18

Match Report

St Mary’s v Ballymena

Over the years Ballymena have enjoyed little success at St Mary’s Dublin home, and Saturday’s game proved no different with the visitors coming out on the wrong side of a 16-18 score line.  But Coach Andy Graham, while disappointed at the result, couldn’t fault the effort of his players and reckons that they will emerge better and stronger from this defeat by a side whose experience gleaned from their years in the top division of Iris club rugby was probably the telling factor.

On yet again a perfect day for rugby, St Mary’s took an early lead after three minutes with a Sean Kearns penalty, and the next period of the game saw both sides on the attack, but with defences holding firm. On fifteen minutes Ballymena were awarded a penalty in an eminently kickable position, but instead opted to kick for the corner and set up the drive. David Whann took the lineout catch and the pack drove for the line, but it took seven attempts by the forwards before the home defence was breached and Matthew Rea went over for the try, which was not converted to give them a 5-3 lead. This prompted St Mary’s to step up their efforts and only determined work in defence by the whole Ballymena team kept them out. From a scrum on half way, Ballymena moved the ball left, and with a clever long pass Marty Irwin created space for Rodger McBurney , who set off on another of his mesmerising runs, running fifty metres and wrong footing the home defence for the best try of the day. That was not converted, and at this stage Ballymena fully deserved their 10-3 lead. Almost on the stroke of half time Kearns was again on target with a penalty, so the teams changed ends with the visitors enjoying a slender 10-6 advantage.

St Mary’s started the second half with greater intensity and after three minutes secured a great field position when a high ball was fumbled by the Ballymena defence. Sustained pressure and good ball retention eventually created the opportunity for scrum half Glynn to dart over for a try, which Kearns converted to put St Mary’s into a 13-10 lead. Ballymena’s reply was to score another great team try, initiated by a McMaster pass which gave Jonny Rosborough room on the outside. He made ground and when the ball was recycled Glenn Baillie took the pass and cut through the home defence. His grubber kick ahead was taken over the line by the full back, and from the five metre scrum great work by the back put Alan O’Connor over for a try which again was not converted. When McMaster dropped a goal to create a five point gap, it looked as if Ballymena might pull off that long awaited win at Templeville Road, but a Kearns penalty put his side two points clear, and more pressure on the Ballymena line, leading to a late try by prop Tommy O’Reilly was enough to secure the home victory.

Ballymena have now won five out of six AIL games, and lie second in the table behind St Mary’s, equal on points but with a marginally inferior points differential. Next Saturday Ballymena travel to Athlone to play Buccaneers for a 7:30 kick off.