vs Rainey Old Boys

September 21, 2013
Score: 19 - 29

Match Report

Ballymena 3’s hosted hosted Rainey 3’s and lost 19-29

Ballymena received the kick off and after a series of rucks from the forwards found themselves deep inside the Rainey half. The braid men seemed to be getting the better of the Rainey forwards in and around the break down area. It was from a ruck that Ballymena opened the scoring when second row Alan Hughes picked the ball up and with help from the pack was pushed over the line. Jonny Small added the conversion, 7-0. Ballymena started to dominate the visiting team and with in 10 minutes nearly added a second try but Stefan McMaster was brought down short of the line. After a great period of possession from the braid men Rainey finally got their hands on the ball and sent it deep into the Ballymena half. The Rainey chasing group forced an error from the home side and after a quick tape and go Rainey crossed the line for a try. The conversion was missed, 7-5. From the restart Rainey rucked up the pitch and with some poor tackling their second row crashed over for a try. The conversion was added 7-12. Just before half time Ballymena got back the lead when captain Adam Smith crossed the chalk mark. Jonny Small added the extras. Half time 14-12.

The second half started badly for the braid men when they lost loose head prop Rodney Hall and fullback Karl Morris to injury. Reduced to 13 men Ballymena defended well but could not hold Rainey out when they were faced with a 2 man overlap. The Rainey out half added the extras, 14-19. From the restart Ballymena showed great determination and when the ball was spun out to Jonny Small on the wing he chipped the defenders and won the race to touch down for the try. The conversion was missed 19-19. Rainey upped the tempo but could not breakdown the Ballymena defence but were rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts. Rainey took the lead 19-22. The game was now into the last 10 minutes and Ballymena found themselves going down to 12 men when second row Mark Ferguson was yellow carded. Ballymena rallied and launch an attack but a pass from prop Adam Smith was intercepted and Rainey scored the last try of the game. The conversion was added. Final score 19-29


Team- R.Hall, P.Taylor, A.Hayes, M.Ferguson, A.Hughes, D.McKendry, C.Millar, A.Smith, J.Cunningham, J.Small, M.Ervine, T.Hanna, J.Mckeown, S.McMaster, K.Morris